Doll Apron Sewing Tutorial

 Hello everyone! As we all probably know, craft stores are already bringing out the Christmas craft stuff. When I was at my grandma's house, she gave me some super cute Christmas-y fabric. I thought about an easy project I could make with it, and eventually I decided to make a doll apron! Here is the tutorial:

Total Time: About 45 minutes

You will need: 

2 pieces of 5x7" cotton fabric
Matching thread 
Matching ribbon
Scissors 
Needle and thread or sewing machine
Tape measure
Pins
4 total pieces of velcro, both sides
Chalk
A doll for reference



 Line up your fabric, good side to good side, and measure three inches on the top corner on your fabric, and mark it with some chalk.


 Cut it out at a slight curve.


 Fold your fabric in half, and trace and cut out the corner on the other side.


 Your fabric should look like this.


 The curves should line up nicely underneath your doll's shoulders. 


 Cut two 4" pieces of ribbon.


 Place the ribbon on the middle of the fabric with the right side facing up as shown.


 Cut two 3 1/2" pieces of ribbon, and place them on your fabric like so. Don't forget to leave a little piece of ribbon hanging off your fabric! :)


 Your apron should look like this.


 Place the other layer on top, good side facing down, and pin together. As you can see, I pinned it where the ribbon was sticking out to prevent it from moving.





 Now you can thread your machine using the correct thread.







 Sew all around the apron, leaving a small gap so you can turn it inside out.


 When you are done sewing, this is what your apron should look like. I you don't have a serger, you can zig zag over the raw edges.


 Here is the gap that I left.



 Now time to turn it right side out! I used a pen to do it, but for the corners, you can use the flat side on a wooden skewer.



 Time to press! By pressing this, the apron won't poof out as much and will just lay flat.


 


 Now it is time to sew the velcro on! All you have to do is sew a small piece of velcro onto the ends to it will stay on your doll. If you don't want to use velcro, you can make the straps longer so all you have to do is tie it around your doll's neck.



 Ta da! Don't forget to sew the little gap shut! :)




I hope you enjoyed! 

If you make this, or any of my crafts, feel free to email me a picture at amayapaes at gmail dot com.



post signature

4 comments:

  1. Really, really cute! I think the fabric is just right for this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I do too! I especially love the little gingerbread men! :)

      Delete
  2. That's so cute! I'll have to try this sometime. :)
    -Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. The apron is super cute, you did a great job! I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete