50's Diner Inspired by Our Generation Retro Diner

Hello! I am just about finished with the 50's diner that I was inspired to make when I saw the Our Generation Retro Diner.

 
Here is an overview of the diner.



 And here is a human's eye view. lol.
It has a checkered floor, and a little "fridge" for some treats under the window. A counter, a table and chairs, a chalkboard and a backsplash. It doesn't have a juke box yet, but I am pretty happy with it. 

The floor is scrapbooking paper glued to poster board.



The chalkboard and the metallic backsplash behind it are pieces of scrapbooking paper.
I covered toilet paper rolls in mirror paper for the counter legs instead of having the whole bottom covered because the doll can't fit her legs under unless the counter is open space underneath.

 I cut out some black circles and white circles to make little records to go on the wall. I printed the Coca Cola sign.


The curtain is a red napkin. I made a little ruffle and put it on a dowel rod. I just covered the ends in silver tape and glued it to the wall. The little refrigerator is kind of just a prop now until I figure out the door. It is made with just cardstock, and there is a clear piece of plastic on the front, but it's not really a door yet.

 The table is made out of foam board that my mom helped me cut into a rounded rectangle (it's pretty tricky to cut). Then I covered it in this cool silver paper and trimmed the edge with red ribbon. You could also trim it with something silver.

I really like the table! :)



 You can see how I made these salt and pepper shakers. by clicking the link.
The smoothie is from American Girl, and the hot dogs, ketchup, and mustard are from a food set I had when I was little.

 
And the chairs are from this tutorial for a retro kitchen chair. 
The stool is an empty spool of ribbon trimmed with mirror paper and red ribbon and topped with white craft foam. The base is toilet paper rolls and scrapbooking paper. I ran out so I haven't made the second stool yet.

The kitchen door is also made out of paper. It is 2 pieces for the door, and thin strips of mirror paper for the trim.



 I think it's ready for customers!
 


"This place sure is nice, Mckenna."
"Yeah, the hot dogs are great!."


"I think it would have been fun to live in the 50's."
"I know, me too, Rebecca."


"So who's going to pay for the food today?"
"Well, if they have 50's prices, I'll pay!" lol


 You can find the cash register tutorial here.



 I hope you enjoyed!
 

post signature

43 comments:

  1. WOW, Amaya, this is absolutely ADORABLE and sooo creative!!! Love each/every little detail you've put into this. As for the 50's, they weren't bad, but since there were no AG dolls back then, I'm happy to have them to play with in my 'old age'! ;) I tried to contact you regarding the giveaway, but I wasn't able to get it to work; it won't 'send'?!!! I saw a gmail mentioned in a response below, so have emailed you there -- hope that's okay and that you receive my email. Really thrilled to have won that sweet set from Katherine's Creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. I am really glad we have American Girl dolls now days! I replied to your email. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Your diner is so adorable! You are so creative! I don't know what I love the most, the table is so cute and the counter and stool are so 50's and I love the floor! Great job Amaya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comment! I am glad you like it!

      Delete
  3. I would make it, but i do not have any space.LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it does take up some space but it is a lot of fun!

      Delete
    2. I mean cause I am out of space. I could turn my doll kitchen in to this, and it would look awesome. LOL. I have a red refrigerter and a silver oven which would work good. All I need is a lot of toilet paper rolls.:) LOL

      Delete
  4. This is super cute! It all looks so realistic! Looks like your dolls are going to have a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think they will use it a lot. :)

      Delete
  5. I belong to a FB group called My Dollhouse and a member asked if anyone was trying to recreate the OG diner. I am going to post about this on the group. The ladies will love it! You are so creative. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas with us:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great. I hope they enjoy it! Thanks for your nice comment!

      Delete
  6. Cool, Amaya! Like literally, you're ideas are beyond beyond :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely fa-bu-lous!!! You did a wonderful job, and I love how creative you are! Now I want to make one too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is fun to make, so have fun!

      Delete
  8. Wow Amaya! You have really out done yourself. :D Look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. *From Julie's doll mom:*

    Y'know, I look at this project, and it's hard to believe you're as young as you are. I mean, this is like "My Froggy Stuff" level of craftiness! You rock these projects, hun! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. :) I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  10. You did a very good job. The table is just perfect. The atmosphere of the 50s is definitely there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think my dolls should be wearing poodle skirts though. he he

      Delete
  11. This is incredible!!!! One of the things I love about your blog is your creativity and your level of "expertise". This makes me want to go to Steak N Shake for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! Oh I love Steak N Shake's milkshakes!

      Delete
  12. Hey, this is your cousin Natália and I loved it! It is fabulous! You are very creative!

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalia! Thanks, I love you too!

      Delete
  13. I love the idea!! I have always wanted to make doll diner/cafe/restaurant! I got the doll diner craft set from American Girl and really wanted to make a diner but it always was confusing!! This is a lot clearer!!
    (P.S. I have the same little clipboard in the backround!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad this helped. Once you have your walls, you can just start adding stuff. Yeah I love the little clipboard. :)

      Delete
    2. I have the doll diner set!

      Delete
  14. I tagged you on my blog!
    http://dolldaydreams.blogspot.com/2014/11/grateful-blogger-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've been nominated for the blogger recognition award!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is outstanding, I would never be able to make this because I hate big crafts that take a long time, but I might have to make this! Well, if I have the room. :) And sorry I haven't commented on your blog in a while! I have been really busy.
    ~Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yeah I don't always have the patience either. I understand, I get busy too!

      Delete
    2. this is great today is my bday and i wanted this but is so much thnx so much this is mega awesome my mom made me a salon and a krispee kream donuts for my dolls and a frappe and milk and cookies for santa

      Delete
  17. This is absolutely wonderful!!!!!! I just love your blog!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for reading my blog, I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  18. All I can say is WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nyktqdvwykthrvsbags.... Amazing, I don't know what to say!!! It's sooo cute and perfect and adorable! I can't even! You did such an amazing job! I LOVE IT!!!! ;P
    ~Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. i have the smoothie it came in my breakfast in bed kit

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't want to be anywhere near Mckenna when she finds out they don't actually have 50's prices!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful website Anaya! Thanks for being so detailed in your instructions. My daughter has just gotten into AG dolls so we will be following your instructions. Keep up the terrific work!

    ReplyDelete