Craft: Make a Retainer for Your Doll

Hi everyone!  A few days ago, I got a retainer. A lot of kids in my class have them and a lot of us need braces or have them. So since I got one, of course I made one for my dolls too! And I am going to show you how to make one. : )

Here is what my finished mouth guard looks like. Summer will be getting this one.


American Girl has the healthy smiles set which comes with this retainer above. It also comes with a toothbrush, headgear and stickers that look like braces. I showed you in a previous post how you can find a doll sized toothbrush for your doll at Dollar Tree or other places. Click here to see that post.

For this craft, you will just need a small amount of polymer clay, and a garbage bag tie/bread tie. The color clay I chose was translucent with a tiny bit of blue to tint it this light blue color.

Start by taking your clay and shaping it sort of into this semi-circle shape. I made a little indention on one side.


Using something with a round tip, shape it into a mouth guard shape leaving one end up and curing the other end and sides around the round tip.


You should have something like this. Make sure it is small, the size for your doll. Mine is between 1/2 and 3/4" wide.


Next, I kinda pinched all around the rounded part.



Then with a thin round tool, I made little indentions to look sort of like the spaces for the teeth.


Take a bread tie and "unwrap" it like a candy bar, taking off the covering so you have just the wire.


I used my small doll sized pencil to make a curve.



And using the mouth guard as a guide, I left a space then made another curve.



See if it fits around your mouth guard. Mine did, so I turned it over and folded the rest of the wire under it and kind of pushed it in a little so the wire stays in the clay, then I trimmed off the excess.
Then bake it at 250 for 30 minutes.

Let it cool, and your doll's mouth guard is ready to use!



For the case, I am using a little lip gloss container. You might be able to find a pill case that would work too.



Summer is very grateful to have it. :)








I have to wear mine all day for now, even at school.  Do you have to wear one?


post signature

25 comments:

  1. I don't have braces... thankfully! :)
    AG Chick
    americangirlchick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a retainer. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really appreciate it.

      Delete
    2. i love your blog to! i dont have braces tho or anything like that my friend has braces and shes not supposed to chew gum but she does anyway lolz😁

      Delete
  3. Aww this is super cute! I don't have a retainer but I do have braces. Yay. >_<
    Nah, really they're alright. xD I quite like how they look actually; and picking out colors for the bands is cool. :)
    ~Adaline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I don't have braces yet but I think that will be fun. :)

      Delete
  4. I love it , it is super cute I don't have braces or a retainer but I will probably need braces so I am going to try making the retainer for my dolls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, your dolls will appreciate it. Hehe

      Delete
  5. Ugh.. braces... I have them, and well.... I'm going to have it for a while yet so..... But love the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Yeah, I will have to have them too soon. :)

      Delete
  7. Cute craft! I don't have braces anymore, but I used to have them. Now, I just have a retainer.

    ~ Mint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's good that you have them off. :)

      Delete
  8. That is a great practical craft! I just got new colors in my braces today- pink for breast cancer awareness month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm getting braces next spring! I can't wait :D Cute craft, by the way, Amaya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so cool.
    I remember my braces...hated the cap style headgear and the retainer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have braces right now, and I used to have a retainer. It was pretty annoying at first, and I sounded funny, but I got used to it. Cute craft! I think it looks better than the American Girl one. I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! That's adorable! I've never had braces and I was blessed with really straight teeth, so I will never have to! A lot of people do have to though, so this is a great craft for people who have braces and want their dolls to be just like them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This project is amazing! Great idea! I just got a retainer so i can relate to how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Amaya
    I didn't get a mouth guard before getting my braces hehe though I did get spacers but I still need two more years with them .mostly everyone gets their braces in middle school.I won't get mine off until I'm a freshmen in high school well I wish u good luck when u get ur braces later on

    ReplyDelete
  15. You could try this with a paper clip that's unfolded instead of an unwrapped bread tie. Sometime you should try to make a doll candy bar- the one with Liberty, the little bar on the back of the packaging was more Barbie sized than AG. You could print out the wrapper at correct size and use craft foam/polymer clay for the chocolate.
    Savannah

    ReplyDelete