Craft: Make a Modern/Retro Doll Kitchen or Office Chair

 Hello! Today I have a fun craft for you. You will need your parents help for this craft. We are going to make a kitchen or office chair that is pretty easy to make, and it looks kind of modern/retro.

Here is the chair we will make.



It was inspired by chairs like these.



Or these dining chairs...


So all you need is some of this wire from the hardware store, (I don't know what gauge it is, but it's pretty sturdy but still bendable) some wire cutters, craft foam, scissors, and glue gun and glue stick.

Start by asking your parents to help you cut the wire. You need about a 34" long piece. Make sure the wire you have is sturdy enough for a doll chair. You don't want it to be just floral wire or something like that. It has to be a little thicker.

Next just start bending it. It's a little tough, so you should ask for help. Also be careful so you don't cut yourself with the wire ends. (You can cover the ends later with a pony bead.) You can use something like a small flashlight or a marker or something with a round handle to wrap it around, or just do it by hand, but it has to be neat. So bend at 4", then over 4", then down 3" like a stair shape. Then you will bend it back 4". That makes one side. Go across about 4 1/2", then forward, up, back, and up. If that sounds confusing, just make sure the sides match. See below.

Bend until you get this shape.


Then take your craft foam and cut 2 rectangles big enough to fit across the back and bottom of your chair and slightly wider so you can fold it under and glue.

Here I have glued one side of the seat on by wrapping the foam around the metal and gluing. Craft foam glues to itself really well.

Here is how it looks. This is the bottom of the chair. Now I am going to wrap and glue the other side to complete the seat. As you can see, I have already glued the piece of foam for the "back" on,  but I glued it right onto the metal instead of wrapping it. Or you could wrap it around like I did with the seat to hide any glue and metal showing in the back.

Here is the completed chair.


This chair is really sturdy. I think it would look great as a dining chair, but until I make 5 off them, I think I will be using it as an office chair.

Here is the back. You could use a different glue that is less messy. I just used a glue gun.


Sarah thinks it is very comfortable.





Some of you have asked where this chair in the front is from that I have used in some of my posts. It is a retired AG desk and chair. But I think Sarah's new chair is a great option if your doll needs an office chair.

Here they are side by side. Sarah actually fits better in the one I made. She won't stay in the AG one unless she is tucked under the desk because it is a little small. It's still really cute though.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!


post signature

30 comments:

  1. OMG I LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made 4 for a dining room. I used a hanger and covered cardboard with fabric and foam for the seat and back. and glued it to the hanger wire. Everyone love it. I tried to upload a picture not good at it.Thank you so much for the tutorial.

      Delete
  2. So cute! Do you think I could use fabric or felt instead of craft foam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think that would work just as well!

      Delete
  3. I like that a LOT! (emphasize the LOT)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its cute!! Sarah's hair looks kind of orange in the first photo ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, It does! That is super cute and we will definitely be making this.

      Delete
    2. Hehe, maybe it is the lighting. I hope you enjoy making it!

      Delete
  5. So neat! Will make :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love the chair, it is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This chair looks great in the office, but it looks even better in your 50's diner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute idea do you think you can use a fabric,felt???

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES! This solved my problem of making dining room chairs for six, soon to be 7, dolls when I get my AG doll house for my birthday in June. Do you know what gauge the wire is now? My dad will probably help me pick out the wire and whatnot, but I don't know wire very well so if I paid money for the wire and got the wrong thickness and it doesn't work, well, you know, waste of money and waste of time. Do you have more specific measurements/whatever for the wire?

    Thank you for your time in reading this! You are one busy, crafty girl! Who has a #1 fan who LOVES your crafts (me)

    ~Madi~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am using 16. May need 14.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely not 16. Heading to a good hardware store to check. Tried to adhere foam together with double sided adhesive made for foam. Not a good idea Will go back to good old glue gun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made two of these and they are sooooo awesome! Thanks for the idea!! I used steel rods that are about 9 gauge and they bend somewhat easily. It does take a bit of practice to get the wire to bend correctly and be even! Wish I could send you a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing! I made 8 of these for my daughters Doll and me themed birthday coming up. The instructions were amazing, and the chairs are nice and strong. My daughter is a very happy girl!

    ReplyDelete