Craft: Turn a Candy Tin into a Doll Tool Box

When I saw this candy container, I thought it looked like the shape of a mini tool box.
With a little paint and a handle and latch, I turned it into one, and I'll show you how.

You will need: This candy tin, some red paint and primer, black craft foam, silver tape, old hair clip.
My dad got some of these at Christmas time, but I think they sell them other times.
It's about 7" long and it opens and closes like a tool box.


They come with candy inside.


You have to prime the box first because it's metal. And you have to paint it with a good
oil based paint too so it won't chip off. It should be glossy, or you can seal it with a clear coat.
You might need several coats. Ask your parents to help you because
oil based paint is messy.

Cut a strip of black craft foam about 3 1/2" long and 1/2" wide.



Now take your silver tape...



and cut 2 little pieces big enough to tape each end of the black strip.



Wrap the silver tape around each end, fold it around and press to seal it.




Glue it on with some hot glue, leaving a "loop" for the handle.




For the latch, I just used an old piece of a hair clip.
You might find something else that looks sort of like a latch,
or just wrap the silver tape around craft foam for the latch.

I folded it in half.




And glued it on with hot glue. It's just for looks because it doesn't really latch,
but the box will stay closed without it.



Now fill your tool box with mini tools. This is from my jewelry kit.



This is a real mini tape measure and screwdriver.




That's it!



Now your doll will be ready to do some repairs.






















post signature

14 comments:

  1. This is such a cute idea and so creative, I would have never thought of a tool box out of a candy tin! Great photos Amaya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! You are so creative Amaya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! You just reminded me that I had made something similar out of an Altoid tin a few years ago for Father's Day. (They're great for holding gift cards.) I'll have to see if I can find it because Alex and Darren (our boy dolls) would love to have a place to store their small collection of tools!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You come up with some seriously amazing DIY's, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! You should try to make a tackle box and fishing line! The tackle box could be a little wooden box (like the ones at Micheals) painted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never cease to amaze me with the crafts you do. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. can you show us how to make tools if we dont have the tools you have

    ReplyDelete