Craft: Make a Doll Sized Cooler

 Hello, doll lovers! I might have mentioned that I'm excited about summer....ok, I've mentioned it a lot!
Well today I have a summer craft for your doll that she really really really will need! If she goes to the beach, camping, picnics, party....yeah, she will need this a lot! So here goes...


Here is what it will look like.



For my version of the doll sized cooler or ice chest, I took a piece of styrofoam from the craft store.
This one is about a 12x12 piece and about a half inch thick.


Have your parent help you cut it. You will need 2 pieces about 7" long x 2 1/2" wide, and
2 pieces 2 1/2" wide x 3 1/2" tall, and 1 piece 7" long x 2 1/2" wide.


You just have to score it and then fold it and it will break off.
You can also sand all edges to make it nice and smooth.


So here I have the 5 pieces glued together with a glue gun. The 7" x 2 1/2" piece is the bottom.
Then the other 2 long pieces are the front and back, and the two smaller pieces are the sides.


I was going to make the lid with styrofoam too, but I ran out and didn't want to buy more.
So I cut out 2 pieces of craft foam (your choice of color) for the lid, and curved the corners.
I cut circles out of the corners of one of them--these are for the cup holders.
Then I glue the 2 layers together.

Then take 2 little strips of craft foam and glue one end to the ice chest and the other end to the lid
for the hinges. Make sure the cut circles are facing up or you won't have cup holders. :)


Then I patched together some pieces of leftover styrofoam and made them to fit exactly inside the top
opening, and then glued them to the lid.


It looks like this.


 
Then for the handle, It's just a long strip of craft foam that I actually pieced together to make it long enough. Then with 2 brads, attach it to each side below the lid so it will slide back and forth.
(I didn't have brads, so I made my own out of skewers, craft foam, and glue. lol)

(You can also see where I patched the strips together to make the handle long enough.)
Now because of the brads, you can really move
the handle back when you open the lid, just like a real ice chest.


Like so.



And here's another shot from the back.



That's it!



Fill your cooler with some beads for ice and lip gloss sodas or water, and you're all set!



Hmmm...what will June choose....



I hope you enjoyed!


post signature

20 comments:

  1. Really cute! I love it! Is all that soda lip gloss from Claire's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yeah it's from Claire's and Walmart.

      Delete
  2. That's so cool! Looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks like a real cooler. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cooler is so cute, I love the top in orange with the cup holders! It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi where did you get the soda can lip balm? awesome craft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find them at walmart and claires. :)

      Delete
  6. That is so cool! I really wish I could make that but I don't have any craft foam OR styrofoam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, if you can get some at the craft store, it's pretty easy to make. :)

      Delete
  7. Wow! That's so cool :) (sorry about the pun:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice. Perfect for the summer outings and picnics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is adorable! I totally hope I can do this some day! In the near future, hopefully :)

    ReplyDelete