Doll Bathroom Vanity Sink Tutorial

Hi Everyone! This was a surprise that I made for my daughter Amaya. After seeing the "before" and "after" photos, she invited me to be her guest today and share this step by step tutorial with you on how I transformed an old jewelry box into a bathroom vanity for her dolls. It was a fun project!

First, the bathtub set that she received for her dolls did not have a sink included.
So, I had to build one!

Here is what I started with: A jewelry box ($4.50), an old soap dish,($0.45) both from Goodwill,
and a soap dispenser with a chrome finish ($1.00) from Dollar Tree.



The top of the jewelry box has a little door which you can open and add a photo underneath.
This jewelry box is especially perfect for this project because it already has a nice oval to place the sink under. But if your dad is handy with tools, he can cut a circle or oval and just sand it smooth.
I removed the little door knob, the existing glass under the oval shape and I traced it with a pencil. 


Next, I removed that little door and I made a hole with my drill.



The oval hole was a little small, so with a jigsaw, I finished the job.



The jewelry box by itself was a little short for an 18" doll.
So, I cut four pieces of 1" x 1" wood for the legs.



After sanding the wood, I primed and painted it.
I used acrylic paint which can be found for less than .50 at the craft store.
Here you see the jewelry box without the drawers,
and the little door with the oval shape where I will put the sink.  


I glued the soap dish onto a piece of wood, just to make sure the future "sink"
would be level with the top of the vanity.


Now, you see the "sink" with the "drain" made with a washer glued onto a black circle of paper. Note that I needed to adjust the top by cutting a notch to fit the soap dish. Instead of a straight cut, I had to make a curve on both sides and I now have a perfect fit. Glue was used for the top of the vanity. 

View of the top of the vanity, now with the picture frame "door" added back on top of the sink.



For the towel bar, I bought a chrome drawer pull from the local hardware store. ($2.90)



For my faucet, I cut the top of the soap dispenser off.



With a small piece of brown and black paper, I created a "sensor" for my faucet
instead of adding hot and cold knobs. But if you prefer, silver beads could be added
for the hot and cold knobs.


 
I used chrome spray paint ($3.00) on the drawer pulls to tie them together with
the rest of the chrome finishing on the faucet and towel bar.



\
And it's done! Here I removed the last drawer for extra towels.



Or you can keep them in. 


Total cost: $11.85
However, you may already have some of these items such as an old soap dispenser or
a different colored paint you might already have for the drawer pulls, making this
project even less. It really depends on how much you want to put into it.
You will need someone with the tools to cut your hole for the sink.
The rest is really up to you how you want to customize it.














That's all! I hope you enjoyed it! :)


post signature

20 comments:

  1. This is absolutely fantastic! What a great idea and how beautifully your vision came together! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I totally agree with you!

      Delete
  2. I love this! Awesome post Amaya's Dad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The transformation is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's brilliant! I've seen some of those jewelry boxes in thrift stores, but I never saw this kind of potential in them. I might not have your woodworking skills, but thanks so much for the inspiration! I'm sure I can adapt it to my level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! You have a great eye and wonderful skills. Thank you for sharing how you made this great little sink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful vanity! I would have never looked at a jewelry box and soap dish and come up with this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad thanks you all for your comments and he is glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is brilliant! I have several old jewelry boxes that I can transform into bathroom sinks for my granddaughters. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. It really is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Enjoy your project!

      Delete
  9. oh wow that's awesome! :0

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really surprise for me, I did not saw these kind of vanities ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is awesome! It looks better than store-bought ones, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your inspiration! I found a little jewelry box and painted it to use as a doll dresser, but then my daughter asked for a sink for her dolls. I'm going to glue on a soap dish to the top and use a soap dispenser as the faucet. How did you cut it? Did you have to use a saw?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your inspiration! I found a little jewelry box and painted it to use as a doll dresser, but then my daughter asked for a sink for her dolls. I'm going to glue on a soap dish to the top and use a soap dispenser as the faucet. How did you cut it? Did you have to use a saw?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its really great post you have shared, which is informative and knowledgeable. I appreciate your great work. Keep me more updates. bath remodel Austin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very useful blog, nice blog every information mentioned.

    Bathroom Vanity 1200

    ReplyDelete